Monday, June 22, 2009

Tour 3

(our next week was a week in hell-not fish creek this time- fire school)

Day 7.
Fire school is a horrible kind of torture.
Sitting in a classroom all day going out of my mind- so I start to doodle.

Day 8.
Then I start to doodle w/ my right hand. Squiggles and amoebas and strange designs.
Reminds me of high school- I'd get so bored I'd doodle on everything- Now here I am making swirls in my notebook as they teach us how to get on a bus.
Kristian also brought a crossword that we worked on.
We did go outside and learn about hoses. One instructor had us get in a mini waterfight-that was the highlight- cooled us off just a touch in our fire gear.
Then 2 more hours of classroom torture.
Halfway thru the day I realized it was still Tuesday. I feel braindead.

Day 9.
The subject was a little more engaging today, or else the notebook required more filling in of blanks.
I kept myself entertained by writing w/ my right hand all day.
We did get to practice deploying our emergency shelters. They flap around in the wind and are very hot. It's like being wrapped in a foil burrito.
So far the best day of this hellish torture. I have some serious issues w/ sitting in one spot all day. And they pound so much useless information at us. I can't really remember what happens in a day, or I just don't care enough to remember. I spend my time doodling and daydreaming.

Day 10.
Today I progressed to scrawling in cursive w/ my right hand.
They showed us tools and how to properly use a shovel- 'This is a shovel' (as they hold it up, just in case).
I enjoyed the safety video. Everything was classically timed. I was laughing to myself the entire video. It was absolutely dreadful. But I was entertained by its awfulness.

Day 11.
I hate that it is day 11. I want my weekend.
Took the fire test. We sort of studied on the way over, we only had to pass w/ 70%. Upon arrival we are told we can use our books. I was miffed because I had made a minor attempt to take this seriously.
Kristian and I arrived a few minutes late, and then got funny looks when we were the first to turn in the tests.
We then drove somewhere to light something on fire and put it out.
That was the coolest part about the week. Digging line is like building trails. I could do it all day.
The bad part is 'mopup'. Where we had to make sure the fire was really out. We first did the attack and destroy method-putting out any smoke we saw. Then came the tedious part of gridding the fire spot again and again. That fire was dead.
I am glad I am not a firefighter. Trails is so much better.
Ended the day covered in soot and dirt, and just glad that we survived guard school.

No comments:

Post a Comment